Scope & Products:
- 8m High Mullions manufactured from VISS IXtra Steel Curtain Wall System
- Faceted transoms VISS Steel Transoms to create Faceted Rotunda
- Faceted Schuco Aluminium Cover Caps
- Each mullion weighed in excess of 350kg so required mechanical lifting throughout the whole of production.
- Movement and manoeuvrability of the mullion sections was difficult throughout the production and painting process as the material was 8000mm long, 350mm depth with a 10mm material wall thickness.
- Each Steel Curtain Wall Transom was precision machined to achieve the required facet for the glazed rotunda.
Propak have helped to manufacture one of the most advanced factories in the world!
The Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) is a glass-walled, completely “reconfigurable factory” at the heart of the University of Sheffield. The main façade features eight metre high glazing, from ground to roof, and wraps 306 degrees around the building. The external glazed rotunda was manufactured by Propak from 8000mm high Jansen VISS Ixtra steel curtain wall mullions, for its structural strength and ability to span over 8m high unsupported. The Ixtra mullions weighed in excess of 350kg, which meant that mechanical lifting was required through our the whole production process, making them very difficult to manoeuvre for the precision machining required. The intermediate transoms were manufactured from Steel VISS profiles which were cut at a faceted angle to achieve the circular shape. All pressure plates and cover caps were also faceted to match the transoms and manufactured from the Schuco aluminium profiles.
The steel curtain walling system for Lakesmere North, who was appointed by main contractor Interserve to deliver the complex glazed facade. The building was designed by Bond Bryan Architects in a circular design to create a light and spacious interior and maximise the amount of usable floor space.
The AMRC is now installing the technology that will be used in research programmes designed to revolutionise UK manufacturing.